[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

New sync gap test

All,

I tested the new sync gap on my "42 inch spark TC", and it worked
very well, and gave slightly better efficiency.  I now obtained
42" sparks using 540 watts compared with 42" sparks using 570 watts,
using the old wooden framed sync gap.  Maybe some energy was
being lost in the resistance of the wood.  I'll have to change my power
input vs. spark length formula to:

            Spark length (inches) = 1.8*sqrt power input (watts)

Again, this new sync gap can be seen at: (bottom photo on page)

            http://members.aol-dot-com/FutureT/index.html

I'm still using the 0.0147uF cap, so I have to adjust the input voltage
variac setting to give about 70% of line voltage to keep the sparks short
at 42".  Wattage measurements were made with a Weston lab type
wattmeter.

Question of the day;  does the spark length increase at faster than
the square law would dictate, as the spark length is increased,
assuming similar, but scaled up systems?

John Freau