[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE : modifying variac for inductance control of pole pig

Gidday All,

 Further along what seems like a very long road - up to cuurent control of pig.

 I have read various posts concerning both resistive and inductive control of
current to the pig - I have decided to use both in a parrallel switchable
setup for
the best of both worlds.

 Questions are  - I have read posts concerning the saturation of the coil form
(toroid) within variacs under load - my variac is a 240V 28amp air cooled unit
carbon brushed. - what can I expect this unit to do with my pig rated at
5KVA but
will be overdriven to  7-8KVA for some runs. If the core will saturate, will
'slicing' the coil form help? if so how wide do I make the cut, and do I put
anything in the gap?

Thanks in advance

Robin Copini,

Adelaide South Australia.