[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 18 Awg Magnet Wire / Secondary Form

On Sun, 23 May 1999 20:42:49 -0600 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
>Original Poster: "Walter Murray" <WaltMurray-at-classic.msn-dot-com>
>
>Original Poster: Greg Murray (waltmurray-at-msn-dot-com)
>
>Hi, All
>
>I recently got 65 pounds of Essex (Polybondex) Magnet Wire for
>Free!!! I know the wire is really big, but can I use it on a 4in
>diameter coil? I was thinking of increasing the height of the
>secondary to compensate for the wire size. If I can't use it, where
>can I find a form big enough to be able to use the wire? I was
>thinking of maybe using that green plastic stuff that is used in gas
>mains. Anyone know where can I get a couple feet?
>
>Happy Coiling
>                   Greg Murray
>                  -Museum of Science, Boston

OooOoooOoo! Everybody's lucky price!
The wire isn't THAT big, just on the rather big side. Twich the diameter
of 24 gauge wire, I believe. It would work on a 4" coil , but the reso
frequency would be higher than is usually used in a tesla coil system.
Only if you can't get the larger diameter form should you increase the
length anymore than 4 to 5 times the width (probably closer to 4.5" if
you use 4" id schedule 40 , or 4.125 for thin wall drain pipe or ABS) For
free PVC, try any residential or commercial construction sites nearby.
Often short sections, long ebough for us to use, will have been
discarded.

With silent lightning in my hands,
-The Electrophile-
Grayson Dietrich
visit my HV page!
www.geocities-dot-com/WestHollywood/Stonewall/2509/index.html

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]