[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Environment

Hi, Hi voltage guys!

So, from what I gather, at least two well seasoned TC people think that no
penetrating radiation is produced by TC's because of the interaction of air.
ie slows down any travelling electons enough that by the time a target is
hit, there is not enough energy left to produce x-rays.   I would tend to
agree, if the energy of the electrons are sufficiently low when the exit the
source.

I work with linear accelerators that accelerate electrons capable of
producing x-rays over relatively long paths through the atmosphere (more than
1 meter).  The lower end of the energy of the electrons after they have
passed 1 meter through the air is around 6 million volts.

These machines cause secondary emission of  X-rays with anything the
electrons come in contact with on their way through the room.

While Tesla coils do not spit out large quantites of electrons, like LINACS
do,  there limit on radiation energy depends on the voltages involved.  The
Intesity, or Level of the radiation depends on the total ACTUAL current.   If
the current is low enough, who cares?  But that't not to say that it doesn't
exist.

One more question,  concerning the vacuum sealed spark gap for the TC's; does
this open the door to vacuum sealed spark gaps that might produce X-Rays or
alpha rays?