[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cap size

<< Just one point can you tell me how a matched cap and power supply
> IE reso charging mode puts added stress on the power supply.

> Cheers Mike Tucknott >>

Mike,

When using an NST, with a reso-cap, the NST output voltage may go
higher than normal, and stress the NST insulation.   Using a pig supply,
reso, or non-reso would not be determined by the nature of the pig, but
rather by the adjustment of the inductive ballast.  I don't know if pigs
are usually run in reso-mode (ballast-wise), probably not.  I suspect
they run smoother in non-reso mode.  Pigs can take a lot of abuse,
but it would be desireable to adjust the ballast for smoothest results,
and a good power factor, etc.  I.e. just adjust the ballast for best
results regardless of the cap sized used.

John Freau