[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC Critical Coupling (was Overcoupling

--------------------------  snip

>   These problems can be eliminated and all of the losses can be easily
>> included by using the proper tests. Tests using known loads are the answer.
>> For example to find the efficiency of an electric motor a Prony brake, a
>> known output load, is used. For a Tesla coil a controlled spark or
>> incandescent lamp which are known output loads can be used. There are other
>> possibilities.
>
>How do *you* go about measuring the current and voltage associated
>with the output spark?

--------------------------------

  You cannot. That is the reason that you have to find another method to
quantify the spark. The "controlled spark" is one possibility. This gives
you an input watts per foot of spark. This is an important variable for
Tesla coils. It is dependent on several other important variables in the
design of the coil and is, therefore, a good overall representation of the
coil.

   JC

--------------------  snip

>>   I will be interested in what advanced coilers like you, Marco, Terry, etc,
>> will produce regarding this thread in the near future.
>>
>>   John Couture
>
>Well I can't say I haven't at least tried to present some useful
>ideas (that have worked in practice).
>
>Malcolm

  You are one of the few coilers who have carried the TC research further
then the usual random extra long spark.

  John Couture