[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Bipolar Magnifier

Tesla List wrote:

>Original Poster: "Steve Young" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-com>
>
>Hi,
>
>Just wondering if anyone has built a bipolar magnifier? Coil in ASCII
would be like this:

<snip>

Steve, all

Yes. I built and tested a twin magnifier here at the lab late last fall
and plan to further refine it this spring and early summer. I have
personally never heard of anyone trying it before and since I happened
to have all the parts on hard, I couldn't resist. :^)

The setup consists of two separate driver systems, (two primaries and
two secondaries) and two extra coils (resonators) driven by a single
series rotary gap and capacitors arranged in the Tesla equidrive
configuration.

The phasing worked out much better than I had expected for the first try
and the extra coils exchanged nice white hot sparks after just a few
tuning adjustments. Distance between the extra coils was 6 to 7 feet and
I only ran the system up to approximately 1/3 power. During testing and
before finding the optimum tune point, the makeshift stand under the
left hand extra coil broke down and arced to ground from the bottom of
the coil creating a beautiful permanent carbon track to ground and
ending my testing until this spring. With a bit more tweaking and
tuning, I believe this system offers some real promise for maximum spark
with minimum input.

There are no pictures on any website, but I do have videos. Richard Hull
has a copy of the video, so it could possibly show up on the next TCBOR
Video Report tape, if, indeed, there is a next one.

Ed Wingate RATCB