[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New wattmeter

<< Original Poster: David Euans <davide-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net>

> Just wanted to let everyone on the list know about  a  Simpson analog
> wattmeter we recently installed on our power supply.  It is a  4.5 inch
> meter - wide-vue style, model 1379, catalog # 11000.  It is said to
> correct for phase differences as we might find in our coil systems.  The
> original meter has a 0-1500 watt range.  We used a 50:5 current
> transformer to increase the range to 15 kw.  We also used custom 0 - 15
> kilowatt scale.  On a recent run our output meters read 35 amps at 270
> volts.  The meter gave a reading of 7.2 kw.  I suspect that this might
> be a more accurate measure of our output.  Comments  are welcome.

> Dave Euans

Dave,

Thanks for this Watts/VA comparison report.  The figures seem
reasonable to me since the power factor of TC's is usually not that
great.  The wattmeter is probably doing a better job of handling
waveform distortions too, compared with the ammeter which might
read somewhat higher than normal due to the distortions.

John Freau