[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Disc Construction

<< Brian and Reinhard,

> Yes, I understand the idea is to make the electrode elements as small as
> possible,
> consistent with problems like heating and simply "sticking" the things into
> the disc >>

Ralph, Brian, Reinhard, all,

The narrow electrodes will be subject to
faster erosion, and will heat up faster.  They won't quench any faster
than wide ones, since rotaries don't quench by stretching out the
spark.  The only possible problem caused by too-wide electrodes is a
re-firing condition that Robert Jameson mentions which can occur
under certain conditions (mostly with slow rotary speeds, small dia
rotors, small caps, and wide electrodes).  I prefer to use acorn nut
shaped electrodes which discourage corona and early firing, but
still have a heavy mass.  The tips of the acorn should not be too
pointy, but rather very blunt and flattish.

John Freau