[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: classic demo, and motor modification

In a message dated 5/12/99 3:50:26 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>  Just how dangerous is the stunt of connecting one's self to the
>  secondary's output, and letting the arcs splay off rods held in the hands
>  or thimbles on the fingers?

I cannot recommend this, but I have done this with my smaller coils.  I stood
on a plastic milk crate for insulation.  I also had my primary circuit
configured so that the primary cap was across the neon and the spark gap in
series.  I know that this is supposed to be bad for neons, but mine is still
good - I have only lost neons with the gap across the neon.  I don't know if
that makes much difference, but I would think it would avoid having 60 Hz
superimposed on the current through the gap.  I haven't tried it with my
large coil.  I took a strike from it once(with a metal rod in hand) at the
maximum distance from it and it was uncomfortable, so I think it is too
dangerous to try.

Mike