[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tube ----- big one (relatively)

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "E.Seekins" <seeked-at-sover-dot-net>
>
> Hi,
> Based on the responses I saw a week or so ago when someone asked a similar
> question, it looks like there are a few who could easily answer this.
> I was at an "antique" store over the weekend, and saw an intimidating looking
> tube.  I never gave much thought to building a tube coil, but this one had an
> inspirational look to it.  Then again, I've never been much one for
intuition,
> so I didn't buy it, pending identification and advice from my fellow list
> members (!)  .....
> The clear glass part is about 7 or 8 inches tall, with four approx. 1/4 inch
> pins on the base.  Then, there is a 9 or 10" long by approx. 2 1/2 inch dia.
> rod of copper atop the glass part (or it could be a copper shield/heat sink
> around taller glass.. not sure).  I realize that is a pretty weak
description,
> so, what the heck, here are the details:
> MACHLETT ML-5606 --------- it is described (by the store) as a "switching
tube"
> and they are selling it for $35 (u.s.).
> I had to ask... I imagine the likelihood of this being useable for a TC is
> pretty low... But I would appreciate any responses...
> Thanks,
> Ed.
-------------------------------
Ed

Have seen similar tube in RF induction heater, sounds like a
water cooled triode of 5-10kW plate capacity.

Assuming not gasey and fils ok would make a good power tube
for a BIG 10-20kW tube coil.  Fils on a tube this size would
require power in the 200-500W range (12V-at- 30A or thereabouts).

You need spec info on tube.  Check EIMAC website and ask for
tech info (EIMAC is handling Machlett toobs).  You would also
need plate water cooling jacket and gasketing assembly, high
power power supply, tank components, etc.  This would
NOT be a beginner's tube project.      :^)

Regards

DAVE SHARPE, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA. USA