[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sync motor mod, 4 flats ?

>snip
<< It seems to work OK,  gives plenty of torque,  and does not
> overheat,  so I am tempted to leave it with 2 slots,  but
> I know the theory says there should be 4.  I don't want to
> take off too much metal,  and end up with a motor which
> draws too much current.  I am worried that I am overlooking
> something because I cannot see how it can properly lock into
> the 4 pole stator field with only 2 slots.
 >snip
 > 				- Richie

Richie, all,

I've never seen this exact situation addressed either, my guess is
that it will have less torque than with 4 flats, but your results suggest
that it still has plenty of torque.  This might be a new method you
found.  Maybe we can avoid some work by cutting only two flats on
our 4 pole motors.  I would think the motor would run cooler and
more efficiently with 2 flats instead of 4 which would be an added
bonus.  Can you give us the dimensions of the rotor and flats?

As far as the workability of the method, I picture it as two very large
diameter gears meshed, but every other tooth is missing on one gear.
One gear will still drive the other.  This analogy might not be perfect,
but I think it captures the effect.

John Freau