[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: flat strip primary

Hi Bob, Sam, all,

SNIPola

>Original Poster: "Samuel Rosset" <samr-at-chez-dot-com>
>If I'm right, you want to use your strip your your PRIMARY right???
>Well, you don't need to worry about the spacing between turns. Electricity
>wont jump from one to another, because the difference of potential between
>turns is very low (copper is a good conductor). A primary is not a cap.
>between the plates of your cap, you have a difference of potential of 9KV
>(even more in fact), that's why you have to be concern about distance
>between the plates.
>So you don't have to worry about electricity jumping between turns.
>Nevertheless, spacing is important, for it will determine the inductance
>(and therefore frequency) of your primary. Use Ed Sonderman's spread sheet
>to design the "perfect" primary for your secondary...

Sam, there are two things you didnīt consider:

1.) The strap has sharp edges, which might lead to corona, interturn arcing
     or enhance secondary to primary arcs.

2.) The primary acts like an autotransformer. Example:

Primary has 10 turns. You tap it at 5 turns. The 9kV are now across
5 turns. The voltage from turn zero to turn ten will be 2*9kV = 18kV!

2a.) Furthermore, the voltage between turns depends on the number of
       total turns the input voltage lies across.

Example:
5 turn Primary (9kv across it): Volts per Turn = 9/5 = 1.8kV
10 turn primary (9kv across it): Volts per Turn = 9/10 = 900 volts.

Depending on design, the volts per turn in the primary may become
critical (Low Fres = low number of turns and a big cap).

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard