[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A state of the art secondary

Gang!

No matter how I twist and turn the situation, I`m going to have to make
another, more manageable coil. One that I can fire in the basement, have
set up permanently. Summer is approaching, and at 56 latitude, it means
that the streamers are not visible before at 10 in the evening, Not a
nice prospect.
I already have some ideas about a mechanism, that will allow me to make
realtime tapping of the primary possible.
Before I start, I would like to insure, that this coil reflects, or
defines, the absolute state of the art. My transformer parts supplyer
has already agreed to donate Capton foil for the secondary former, and
this should take care of the inside, I think.
I would like to make a coil 4" by 16" and try to find a maximum of
coupling. Since it has been mentioned many times, that this can lead to
"racing sparks" along the secondary, some ideas sprung to my mind, about
how to reduce/eliminate that problem.
I can get silicone lacquer with a very high dielectric konstant, but
this would be the standard way of doing things, only with superior
materials. So what I`d really like to try, is to make a coil that is
wound between 2 capton tubes, and backfilled with oil, to stop corona
developing, and initiating those racing sparks. (If that`s what is
happening)
The coil might also benefit by being wound progressively for equal
charge distribution along the coil.
However, I have only experienced racing sparks once, and that was due to
moisture, and I don`t have a lot of insight in this whole matter anyway,
so I`d really appreciate a collective discussion about the state of the
art secondary.
How does the coil that you could only dream about, look like?

Sniff: Wasn`t that ozone?, Finn Hammer