[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Run Failure, need help

Hi Andy,

Some on the list already pointed out adjusting the primary to secondary
positioning
(usually raising the secondary) to reduce the amount of coupling so I won't
go there
except to say I agree. Mainly, I wanted to let you know I went through your
same
scenario. I tried more varnish and raising the secondary. They both had an
effect,
but ultimately, it was the secondary positioning which stopped racing
sparks. Back
when they occurred, sometimes they raced all the way down and other times
broke out
between the middle and top. On one occurrance during this spell while not
having the
coupling set correctly, I allowed more power into the coil. The secondary
drew an arc
and shorted 2 turns of secondary winding together. In this condition, the
secondary
will still have continuity but the shorted wire will draw a lot of power
and burn
(fast). I inspected my coil, found the short, and repaired it before more
damage
occurred. I haven't had racing sparks since learning to adjust the secondary.

Just some things to watch out for.
Bart