[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Overcoupling?

Hi Antonio,

> Original Poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>
>
> Terry Fritz wrote:
>
> > >       The corona area you mention is probably a natural high field
> stress area
> > >that linear wound Tesla coils have about 2/3 up the secondary.
>
> Why?
>
> Frequently I see the term "overcoupling" in this list, but can't see
> what it means. I don't see a reason for increased voltage gradients
> along the secondary just because the coupling coefficient to the
> primary is increased. A primary closer to the secondary would induce
> sparking between the two coils, certainly, but why sparks along the
> secondary? Would not this effect be due to tuning to a higher order
> resonance mode instead?
>
> Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

Three things I can think of:
- the voltages do get higher at certain values of k as the energy is
transferred much more rapidly giving the gap less time to lose it
- closer proximity of the primary to the secondary encouraging corona
formation around the secondary, particularly with raised primaries
such as conical or helical (I've seen this in small systems)
- excitation of spurious resonances causing the secondary to be
electrically shortened because of the presence of the upper sideband.
I finally had to accept that this is a possibility after Terry's
current msmt results, much as I don't like the idea. Perhaps this is
a field ripe for further measurement and exploration to see which
of the above is correct.

Malcolm