[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC Criticall Coupling (was Overcoupling?)

  To All -

  Has anyone designed a Tesla coil that was critically coupled? Terman says
that is the point of maximum secondary current. This should give a Tesla
coil with the best possible output. Critical coupling occurs when the
primary circuit resistance is equal to the resistance of the secondary
circuit.  Also when:

  Rp = Rs  at critical coupling

  Kc = Lm/(sqrt(LpLs))

  Kc = Xm/(sqrt(XpXs))

  There are many possible TC parameter combinations that will give  Rp=Rs
but numerous related calculations are required. To my knowledge no coiler
has ever designed, built, and tested a critically coupled Tesla coil to
verify that the  Rp=Rs criteria gives an optimum TC.

  For coilers with the JHCTES program you may want to try the following
inputs that give Rp=Rs = 92 ohms, .21 coupling factor, 31% overall
efficiency, plus other output parameters for the design of the coil. It
should be noted that this feature of the program has never been verified.

  watts = 900    voltage = 15000
  pri cap = .01 uf
  pri rad = 4.3
  pri turns/inch = 4.00