[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Alternative supply for tesla coils

>From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Alternative supply for tesla coils
>Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:49:40 -0700
>
>Original Poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
>
>> Isn't the insulation on MOTs the same insulation on the secondaries
of
>> NST's?  I it'll last on 15 KV, why not 8?
>
>Nope... the NST is potted, the MOT isn't. It isn't the winding to
winding
>insulation you are worried about here, it is the winding to core
breakdown.
>Plunging the MOT in a bucket of oil would probably solve the insulation
>problem.

Are you sure this is the case?  I've read on peoples sites that they've
unpotted nsts and ran them dry with no ill effects(Chrs Hills's Tesla
Coil Page http://www.hills2.u-net-dot-com/tesla/neon.htm). Never done it
myself.  Can any one whose killed a MOT or two describe the mode of
failure?

Chris, via the inter-thingy