[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: vacuum pump

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>
>
> Tesla List wrote:
>
> >   One should always use a water trap in line when using an aspirator to
> > prevent the water from being sucked into the system when the water is
turned
> > off.  I would also put a pinch clamp on the hose between the water trap and
> > the vessel under vacuum prior to turning the water off.
>
> A note: My improvised aspirator could certainly cause water to boil
> (isn't this around 0.5 cm Hg?). This was long ago, and I was trying
> to make low-pressure gas lamps to light them with electrostatic
> machines (the idea worked). I had a valve in the vacuum line, and
> always closed it before closing the water, of course, otherwise
> the result would be a lamp filled with water...
> I still have that pump somewhere (I saw it some time ago). If
> I find it again, I will put a picture in my web site.
>
> Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

Antonio:

        Very interesting, and would sure like to see "plans" for the device,
hopefully suitable for making a copy.  Question, though:  Seems to me
that in order to make water boil you would have to reduce the pressure
below the vapor pressure of water in the residual gas at the temperature
of the water.  How can a device operating on water do this?

Ed