[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Opinions and Woes

Well, I've just had a blow today, wondered if anyone had any ideas. My
flatmates suddenly turned on me after havving helped me for the last few
weeks and said I wasn't allowed to do any testing in the house because
they were 'scared of burning the place down'. I have showed them all the
safety info, made up a contract that says I will never go to over 500
Watts indoors or 4 foot spark length, contains over 20 saftey
precautions and guarantees about interlocks and deadmans' switches,
replacing fuses in the house should they blow, and they won't even read
it. They asked me if I wanted fries from the take away and just left
them on the top of the stairs without telling me - when I found them an
hour later they were stone cold! I have tried to be as cooperative and
informative as possible and yet it seems my only option is to move out.
I try to explain the skin effect to them, and the fact that dissipation
as sparks leaves little energy for TV interference, but they 'shut off'
after about two sentences and won't let me finish the explanation. They
asked me to get a lock-up or workshop but I can't afford the rent. On
top of this I have realised that my cap needs to be six times as large
as I'd first thought and will cost me packets. I think I might have to
give up even after weeks of labour and over UKP 600 spent.

What can I do or say? Would anyone be willing to explain that someone
experienced with high voltage (ie induction coils, lasers, high power
xenon strobes, Jacob's ladders, RF inductioon heaters, high power valve
amplifiers and the odd Cockroft ladder , and even a failed attempt at a
Marx Ladder) is capable of doing this thing without endangering life?
Just someone who has coiled and operated (even at reduced power) in
their lounge with no large fires or explosions resulting? I feel a bit
piqued considering I just spent another UKP 100 on a CO2 fire
extingusher to make them happy.

Alex Crow,
Not-so-happy coiling