[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: vacuum pump

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>
>
> Marco Denicolai wrote:
>
> > Like this?
> >
> > --------
> > <- open here     pen part 1
> > --------
> >
> > ------\
> >   ok             pen part 2
> > ------/
>
> > What is a funnel?
>
> A conical tube with a large opening at one side and a small one at
> the other.
>
> > Like this?
> >
> > -----\ \--------
> >
> > -----/ /--------
>
> Yes. The hole at the end of the input tube was of about 1 mm, the
> end of the pen where the charge point was.
>
> > Doesn't the water fill also the 1" tube section? Why?
>
> The water jet coming from the input tube enters the output
> tube at high speed, carrying the air with it. If the output
> tube is left open, no water enters the 1" tube section.
> I could operate my pump from the normal pressure of the
> water distribution system.
>
> >              +---------+
> >              |         |
> > water in ====|===> >===|===== water out
> >              |        ==== vacuum
>
> Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

        Back in the early '50's I bought a couple of commercial aspirators of
this type from (Cenco?) for about $3.50 each.  Nickle-plated brass with
nipples on all three ports.  They worked fine, but I can't find them
anywhere!  Probably still available somewhere, as larger units are
certainly used commercially.  Antonio's idea is a neat one, and will
throw one together when I can steal time from home maintenance and
reading email.

Ed