[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Started winding today....

After much research and many questions, I built my rolled poly caps
after Mike Hammers' design.
 I have a 15K/60mA NST so I needed .0107 uF cap. More layers of poly are
better, thinner layers give you better capacitance. I decided to roll 3
caps wired in series, each = to .033 uF each. I used 4 layers of .006
mil poly/aluminum foil/4 poly/foil. The poly was inexpensive roll from
Home Depot (a 10' X 25' roll made all three caps).
 For the terminals I just used some of the heavy duty aluminum foil. I
cut a 3' piece, folded it in half so it was 18", then folded and folded
lengthwise until it was 18" X 1" (with all those folds it was very
stiff). Then I taped one to each piece of foil with extra length
extending out, when rolled up and held with ties, these straps conduct
well.
Rolled up tightly, nylon ties to hold it, the caps fit perfectly in a 3"
PVC pipe. As mentioned earlier, I didn't have a vacumn pump at the time,
so I used an upside down palm sander and vibrated air out of it. I have
had absolutely no problems or punctures with these caps.

Happy coiler
Bob Volk