[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Displacement Current Revisited

How could the slow dynamics of a compass react to a magnetic (inductive) field
changing at 150 Khz?

I have seen the effects of the inductive field 1st hand.  I used a 7" hose
clamp
to attach my ground strap to the base of my secondary.  It got so hot that it
melted half way through my 6" SDR pipe!  I'm assuming that it got hot from IR^2
heating where the (I) was induced.  It was also interesting to note that it got
the hottest where the cross sectional area was the smallest - near the threads.
Current density and resistance were higher here.

> ----- big snip ---
>
>   Coilers are apparently not familiar with the induction field around the
> Tesla coil. If I understand this field correctly a coiler should be able to
> detect the field with a compass placed near a TC while it is energized. The
> compass is not sensitive to the EM field but should deflect because of the
> magnetic effect of the induction field. The compass would have to be
> properly aligned and very close to the center of the secondary winding. Has
> anyone tried this test? Reinhart's lamp could be used but this is also
> sensitive to the EM field.
>
>   John Couture
>
> ----

Ross Overstreet