[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor Container Failure

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Friday, March 19, 1999 10:23 AM
Subject: Re: Capacitor Container Failure

>Original Poster: Robert Volk <smrtmny2-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
>Ross,
>My rolled poly caps did same thing - on 2 out of 3. What I discovered
>was that the end caps I used were bad. One of the caps was a heavy duty
>cap from Home Depot - it had no problems. The 2 that failed were a
>slightly translucent plastic ( not the solid, opaque type from Home
>Depot). They were thinner than the heavy walled one as well. Every cap
>made from this junk cracked on me after a few runs, top AND
>bottom.UUUGGGHHH! I bought the JUNK END CAPS from Ace Hardware.... never
>again.....

The translucent ones are most likely styrene and sold for landscape and
architectural drainage pipes buried in the ground. Hardly an environment
where leaks are a problem, since the pipe often has holes every few inches
anyway.

I'd go with real PVC, designed to take some pressure. Even the DWV ABS
stuff, although it is nice and flat on the end caps is actually a foamed
core composite and not very strong, and not designed to much pressure
(that's why you have vent (the V in DWV) stacks on your drains (the D in
DWV) that carry the waste (the W..) from your sinks and toilets.