[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Mains Current Monitoring

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Basura, Brian" <brian.basura-at-unistudios-dot-com>
>
> I'm in the process of building a new power controller for my coils.  The
> question I have is on measuring input (mains) current which can be up to 50
> amps.  I'd prefer to do it without utilizing a shunt.  Can I build a current
> transformer by taking a toroid core, wrapping one turn of a primary leg
> around it, then winding 100 turns around it for a secondary, and hooking the
> secondary to a .5amp meter?
>
> What other ways are available to measure this level of current (50 amps)?
> Should I reconsider using a shunt?

    You might be OK making a current transformer like that, but they arn't
expensive to buy ( about £15 )and get a guaranteed accuracy that way or you
could moving iron meter which will read 50A RMS directly, they do contain an
internal shunt, but the voltage drop really is insignificant.

--
*Stephen Rodway     Legion-at-Bigfoot-dot-com * Support your local *
*Tel. 01761 300615                     *     coroner....    *