[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 1959 Electricity for Boys article

At 06:23 AM 3/17/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Original Poster: "Matthew Shaffer" <dfive10-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>

>>Original Poster: ginger <stephen_crawshaw-at-tesla94.freeserve.co.uk>
>>
>>Hi all
>>
>>Sorry if this is a repetition, but I've been off the list for a >little
>while..... Anyway, I found a cool website with "Kitchen >Experiments"
>for kids, amongst which was a Tesla Coil (?!). Its from >a 1959 article
>in "Electricity for Boys" (US). Check it out.
>>
>>http://freeweb.pdq-dot-net/headstrong/ind2.htm
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>>Steve
>>

>Hey,
>
>I built the coil described in the article.  The coil itself looks quite
>"midevil", and is a beauty to behold.  I made the supports for the coil
>out of clear plex, which may or may not look better than the wood that
>the article calls for.  I also tried to build the primairy transformer
>that is included in the plans (a disruptor style inductor), but I lost
>patience with it after winding fourty layers or so of the secondairy
>(which is 150 total layers of 250 turns each of #34 wire), which is a
>shame, because I think the inductor would be almost as neat as the coil.
>I finally just got a NST to do the job of the primairy.  The coil is not
>a great performer in my opinion, but i have not had a chance to tinker
>with it a whole lot so it may just be way out of tune.
>
>For performance, I would recomend a monopolar coil, but I must admit
>that this bipolar sure does look good even just sitting there doing
>nothing.
>
>FWIW,
>Matthew Shaffer, Raleigh NC

I built one too when I was in Junior High School.  Well, a fairly good copy
anyway.  I also used plexiglass for the primary support and a scrap of PVC
pipe for the secondary form instead of the "mailing tube" called for in the
book.  I was unwilling to build the induction coil power supply, so I
substitued a conventional three-terminal car ignition coil & disrupter
circuit.  The little coil was a poor performer, but it did produce nice
brush discharges at each end as well as 3" sparks to metal objects.  It
also made a neat plasma globe driver by attracting the sparks to the base
of a hand-held clear glass lightbulb.

Greg