[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: rotery for neons (whats a sink rotery)

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Jason Zuberer <jason-at-vortexia-dot-com>
>
>     That answers a question that I had. I built a rotary gap with a 1/4 HP
1725
> R.P.M. motor using 8 electrodes on a 10" polycarbonate disk. Needless to say
it
> worked terribly (the safety gap fired more than the coild did) would taking
it
> down to 4 electrodes solve my problem, or is the 1725 R.P.M. causing a
problem
> as well?
>
>             Thanks,
>                         Jason Zuberer

<SNIP>

Jason,

You have two problems a minor one and a BIG one....

The 1725 RPM rotor speed will tend to cause surging as the electrode
presentation "slips" versus the incoming waveform, leading to very
uneven operation. Reducing the number of electrodes will actually worsen
its performance.

However, a much more serious serious problem is that a sparkgap rotor
should _NEVER_, EVER, EVER be made from a thermoplastic! If the rotating
electrodes should ever become hot enough to soften the plastic, you've
created a rotating hand grenade. And the tensile strength of these
materials is marginal. Only use glass epoxy or aluminum as your rotor
material. A phenolic could be used, but may not have the tensile
strentgh to keep the rotor from exploding at higher rotational speeds.

-- Bert --