From:   Tesla List [SMTP:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent:   Monday, March 08, 1999 6:38 PM
To:     tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:        Pulsed Tube Coil Work (with updates)

 Anyhow, to solve this problem, I used a tetrode tube for the main TC
 oscillator and fed a source of 600 volt, 60 Hz AC, through a dropping
 resistor, to the screen of the vacuum tube.  So the plate received
 pure DC, the screen received 60 Hz AC and the grid was connected
 in the traditional tube TC fashion.  Results were now excellent--the
 oscillator starts gradually under the influence of the screen grid AC
 and the sparks appeared just like the AC pulsed tube coil sparks.

 Since the system uses filtered DC, it is possible to use a small,
 weak, transformer which slowly charges the filter capacitor over
 multiple AC cycles during TC "off" times.  Then, when the filter
 capacitor is fully charged, the TC is turned "on" and the tremendous
 stored energy in the filter capacitor is instantly available to the TC
 which produces a giant spark pulse which partially depletes the filter
 capacitor's charge and the cycle begins anew.  I use about 3
 pulses/sec which appears reasonably steady to the eye.