[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Partial Discharges.....A good reason for cap failure?

Tom,

We must be virtually the same age!  I too built my first coil at twelve
at virtually the same time.  I remember it well.  They were the best of
time and the worst of times.  Elvis was not quiet king,  The hula hoop
was the rage,  Edsels were starting to flop,  Fins on cars were at a
peak,  the IGY was in full swing,  the U.S. "Atoms for Peace" program
was sending fresh nuclear isotopes to amateur experimenters directly
from Oak Ridge at no charge and our Navy was killing hundreds of snakes
with exploded Vangard missiles demonstrating that we were most capable
of  losing the space race while Russia's little non-data grabbin'
sputniks beeped out their success on the normal shortwave frequencies.

My coil was a ford spark coil based system and used the classic two nail
gap.  I used some old window glass my grandfather had laying around
with  tin foil plates for my capacitor.  I used a motor oil/parafin
based compund to seal the foil/plate capacitor from air.  The whole
thing ws wraped up with wax impregnated twine.  I got about 0.5" more
spark off of the coil than I could get off of the Ford coil.  The neat
thing was that I could touch the spark off of the Tesla coil, while the
Ford spark coil would rattle your teeth and lock you up in a manner that
you would never forget if you came into contact with it.  This amazed me
as I had never worked with high voltages at RF frequencies.  While I was
at that time a true nerd with active participation in amateru rocketry
(steel 40 pound jobs),  Chemistry, and some electronics,  The Tesla coil
pushed me over the edge and decided my future course would be
electronics.

Amazing, the trigger moments that change a life.

Richard Hull, TCBOR