[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: insulating oils.

Michael:
What are you trying to insulate? That actually is the first question you
should
ask/answer :)
Diala (or its kin, various flavors of mineral oil) is a great
insulating/cooling
oil, that a number of us use in our capacitors (and some even sink their
rebuilt neons in it).
Mineral oil runs anywhere from $4/gal to $16/gal, depending on what you get,
or how you
get it. I paid about $5.00/gal from a local jobber for Diala-AX. I was
quoted
$16/gallon from a vet store for vet-grade mineral oil (A large animal
laxative)

If you need better insulating that the mineral oil, you are getting into the
silicone based synthetics.. and they get expensive fast.

Michael Baumann
Coiler, Homebrewer, Nerd. mycroft-at-access1-dot-net