[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Eagle Light for Linux/DOS/Windows

I just received a notice from CadSoft Computer informing me that they
now have a Linux version of their EAGLE LIGHT CAD Software.

They have a freeware version of the Linux and DOS and Windows software
available for download that has all the facilities of their Professional
Edition. See the information below for full details.

Of special interest to PIC users is the fact that their library of
parts includes a number of PIC devices, and it is not all that
difficult to add more of your own. We can also share any additions
to the library that we make ourselves :)

So we now have a free CAD package that ALL of us can use to share
schematic and board layout files.

You can download the software by visiting their website:
http:\\www.cadsoftusa-dot-com
Look for the Eagle Lite Freeware edition, *not* the demo!
Pay careful attention to the instructions on activating the
the software.

May I suggest that if you download the software you also drop
them an e-mail thanking them for their generous support of
the hobbiest community.

I have no connection with CadSoft other than the fact that I own a
copy of their product and applaud their making the freeware
version available for so many operating systems.

Fr. Tom McGahee

For the sake of completeness, here is the info you will find on
their website:

Freeware

The EAGLE 3.5 Light Edition can be used for free!

Limitations

The following limitations apply to the EAGLE Light Edition in general:

•The useable board area is limited to 100 x 80 mm (4 x 3.2 inches). •Only
two signal layers can be used (Top and Bottom). •The
schematic editor can only create one sheet.

Apart from these three limitiations the EAGLE Light Edition can do anything
the Professional Edition can do. You can even load,
view and print drawings that exceed these limits!

The Freeware version of EAGLE Light adds these limitations:

•Support is only available via email or through our forum (no fax or phone
support). •Use is limited to non-profit applications or
evaluation purposes.

What does "non-profit" mean?

The definition of non-profit is fairly simple and straightforward:

•If you earn money by using the Freeware version of EAGLE Light, you have
to register it.

This allows anybody who wishes to use EAGLE Light for their private hobby
projects to do so. Also students can use this version for
any educational projects. It is even ok to use this version in a commercial
environment, as long as you just want to evaluate the
program. As soon as you start using it for commercial projects, you will
have to register it. As an exception to this, board
manufacturers may use the Freeware Light Edition to generate production
data (e.g. Gerber files) from board files they have
received from EAGLE users.

How do I get it?

Follow these steps to install the free EAGLE Light Edition on your system:

•Go to the Download area and get the file that contains the EAGLE program
installation data for your language (English or German)
and your operating system (DOS, Linux or Windows). •Install the file you
have downloaded onto your system. •When you first start
EAGLE, you will be asked whether you have a personalized license disk, or
whether you want to run EAGLE as Freeware. To use the
Freeware license select "No" in this dialog.

Is it really useful?

Maybe you think the limitations of EAGLE Light won't allow you to do
anything meaningful? Well, take a look at this 68HC12 board,
which does not exceed the capabilities of EAGLE Light (in fact you can do
even bigger boards than the one shown there).

How can I register/upgrade?

If your application exceeds the non-profit domain, or if you prefer to have
a printed manual, CD-ROM and full support via phone or
fax, you can register your program copy and receive your own, personalized
license file. Any files you have created with the
Freeware version of EAGLE Light can be used with any registered version of
EAGLE Light, Standard or Professional. So if your
project exceeds the limits of EAGLE Light, you can always go to a higher
level (and you only have to pay the difference between
what you have and what you are upgrading to).

You can register your program copy for US$ 49.-/EUR 49.- (ask your local
dealer for prices in your local currency). Registered
users receive their own personalized license, a printed manual, CD-ROM,
full phone and fax support, and may use EAGLE Light for
commercial projects.

Copyright

The Freeware version of EAGLE Light is copyright protected software, © 1999
CadSoft Computer GmbH, all rights reserved worldwide.
No part of the executable files that come with EAGLE nor the freeware.key
file that implements the Freeware license may be altered
in any way. CadSoft reserves the right to decide whether to continue this
Freeware program with the next version of EAGLE.