[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: cap firing voltage scope measurements question

<< Original Poster: "Malcolm Watts" <malcolm.watts-at-wnp.ac.nz>

> Hi all,
>          I just had to add another musing to this topic. I think the
> voltage hike is really being "tuned in" by adjusting the rotary gap
> phase setting for best sparks. Again, I am amazed that a NST should
> take it on the nose without dying. I think the better option is to
 >have a stiff transformer and a separate charging reactor in the
> secondary circuit to take half the charging voltage burden.

Malcolm, all,

Not only is it more robust to use a stiff transformer and separate
ballast as I'm doing, but it allows a complete tuning of the charging
system, such that the peak cap voltage can be made to coincide
with the best firing phase.  An NST system may require a
compromise in the firing time.

 ?
> Malcolm >>

Well, pigs and PT's are designed to withstand great stresses.

John Freau