[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Strange safety gap operation (LONG POST)

    >snip>
<< As a final note two people told me that point three above is due to
> poor quenching in the overheated gap.  I thought "quenching" refered
> to the turn-off ability of the spark gap.  This problem sounds more
> like lowering of the breakdown voltage due to overheating ?\

Hi Richie, all,

I agree that the term quenching is often not used precisely, and I
agree it's the overheating that's causing the problem, not the
quenching.

> I hope I have not rambled too much,  but I feel that understanding
> the properties of the static gap is very important to coilers
> whether we use one as our main gap or as a safety gap.

 			- Richie

 			- Somewhat puzzled in sunny Newcastle