[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Safety gap and first light

Dr. Resonance,

Well it turns out that part of the problem was operator error. I had wired the
spark gap in series with the cap and primary like this: NST output-spark
gap-cap-primary coil-NST output. After connecting the NST across the spark gap
everything changed!!!! I immediately got 15" streamers from several points on
the toroid. The safety gap on the cap was still firing quite a bit so I tried
some tuning and improved things a little. Since I couldn't get the variac above
~60 volts without the safety gap firing I figured I could move the safety gap
to 1" and increase the voltage. At about 80 volts I BLEW THE CAP! BIG lesson
learned.... The cap safety gap IS NEEDED. I'm using a single cap with 1/16"
LDPE layers. I had been cautioned by several posts in the past about rating the
cap too aggressively but excitement got the best of me. Dis-assembly revealed a
1/4" hole clean through the LDPE.

Question:
You mentioned going to 22-24 turns. Tesla Designer calculates  ~140 KHZ for the
toroid/secondary, 120 KHz for the cap/primary with 12 turns (140 KHZ at 10.5
turns). 22-24 turns seems way too high?

Thanks for the Help,

Bill