[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: PVC diameter and cap question

At 06:31 PM 6/10/99 -0600, Tesla List wrote:
>Original Poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
>
>SDR also comes in white... I just scavenged a nice 10" diam piece about 5'
>long from the guys working on the landscaping at the bottom of my street.
>How do I know it is SDR? It is stamped on the side.

I went to a plumbing supply store and found a 6" SDR-35 pipe that I can
use. I've sanded it pretty well and it's just about ready to get dried per the
RQ
method in a box with a lamp. Secondary will be 888 turns of #22 wire on
my homemade winding jig.

The 15Kv 60 ma NST that I bought from another coiler came
in via the post office, however the box was mangled and the insulator
around the 120v input sustained damage on the bottom terminal. By damage
I mean the insulator was in pieces. I took out a meter and put one probe on
case ground and the other on the terminal. No continuity, so the terminal wire
inside appears to be intact and isn't touching the case.

When the NST came in and I saw the damage, I freaked and I called a sign
company, thinking I could get a spare insulator. They don't do any neon work
anymore but they put me in touch with a local NST repairman. He didn't have
an insulator, but suggested the "JB Weld fix". I used the entire set. It
worked.
I visited his shop today and bought another 15kv 60ma NST (old Franceformer)
from him for $25, so now I have two. While I could wire both of these xfrmrs
together and use them, I think it prudent to keep one as a backup, just in case

I screw up or something blows.

I started out a few weeks ago with George Trinkaus's book on building a TC,
but I've learned a lot by reading other coiler's pages and looking at different
designs. One thing that RQ is emphatic about is not putting any holes in the
secondary coilform, where Trinkaus suggests drilling holes and running wire
inside the form. No holes are being put in my coilform and I'm doing my
secondary
per RQ's specs. It just makes more sense. Both ends will be sealed so no chance
of a spark getting inside the coilform. I think Trinkaus means well, but
thankfully
I avoided what could have been a major headache if I had followed his TC
building
method. I did get a chuckle with Trinkaus use of a toilet float for a terminal
capacitor. <g>

Question #1 - I like Gary Lau's primary design using 1/4" refrigeration coil,
but for
a 6" coil, how many turns should it have?

Question #2 - Where can I find a variac?

Question #3 - I've been following discussions about the use of MMC's, but is
there any kind of consensus what is the best type to use (least amount of
strings) ?

Regards,

Don

---

"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God" - Thomas Jefferson