[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotary Vs Stationary

On Wed, 09 Jun 1999 11:59:34 -0600 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
>Original Poster: Michael Burton <mickb15-at-ozemail-dot-com.au>
>
>    Pardon my lack of knowdege,
>I would like to know if a rotary spark gap HAS to be synchronous to be
>successful?
>and also, would there be much use in a RSG on a 4" coil? (are they
>mainly for
>bigger coils?)
>    Thanks, Michael

For the first question, certainly not. Use an adjustable speed motor to
find a good break rate, which will probably end up being near synching
with the 60Hz anyways.
No reason why you couldn't use one on a smaller coil, just that if you're
using NST's for power, then you may not want to use a RSG, sync or
otherwise, since NST's tend to die with them.

-The Electrophile-
Grayson Dietrich
Medina, OH
See my HV Haven (it does NOT do jusctice!)
www.geocities-dot-com/WestHollywood/Stonewall/2509/index.html