[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

PVC diameter and cap question

Hello Folks,

I've been running in difficulty trying to find a thin-wall PVC pipe. The
hardware stores in my area (Crestone, CO) only carry thick wall 4" pipe.

I did find a irrigation supply (Monte Vista, CO) that carries 6" PVC
but it appears that the thinnest they have is about 1/8" thickness, or
what they rate at 80 PSI. I've read Richard Quick's articles on this and
he advises to get ahold of thinner pipe. I'd love to but it's not like I
can just run down to Home Depot as my location is at least 60 miles
from any major town and at least 5 hours from Pueblo and Colo Springs.

If I'm unable to find thinner pipe, can I still use the 1/8" thick PVC?

I'm proposing to build a 6" secondary with 24" winding area at 888
turns of AWG 22 magnet wire. Transformer will be a 15kV 60ma
NST.  Although I will probably go ahead with using salt-water caps
with my first run, I did spot this at http://www.fairradio-dot-com/dchvca.html

-- begin included text --

A high voltage experimenter's dream! A compact 5"x10"x2.5" 0.01 MF
100,000 VDC capacitor removed from an exotic government project
which used 100 of these in series! Nov '83 date codes; 1"L #12 stud
ends, 7 lbs sh. #KM14-1000-10, $87.50

-- end included text --

Would this be robust enough to use for a cap in a tesla coil?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Don

---

"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God" - Thomas Jefferson