[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

First run 6.5" coil- odd results? (fwd)

Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 11:58:19 EDT
From: LUGNUT00-at-aol-dot-com
To: chip-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: First run 6.5" coil- odd results?

	Since I'm new to the list, let me introduce myself. My name is Scott,
or "Lugnut" and I am very new to coiling. I wanted a good start, so I made
and bought everything for my coil, except for Xformer...:_( Chances are I am
doing something wrong but don't know it. I heard that my results were odd due
to my Xformer, tell me what you think.

     Well, here's my stuff:     right now I'm getting 8" sparks maybe 9".

     secondary-6.5" OD PVC 1/4" thick  wound to 26" 22 or 24 gauge...I
forget...

 	primary- flat pancake, 1/4" copper tubing spaced 1/4"
 				13 turns total.

 	capactitor- salt water type, 15 totally assorted bottles in a 10
      gallon fish tank-no oil and I'm not getting flashover. Probrobly due to
      my transformer's lack of power.

 	Xformer- right now I have a horrble, beat up, but working 4000 volt
-at-
      30mA..

 	Spark gap- 4 gaps at about 1 millimeter each.

 	There are no bypass caps or safety gaps.

      Discharg terminal- Use everything from a nail to a 7" sphere. After
      tuning, I get the best results from the sphere, about 8" sparks. I have
      to use a nail to get sparks to the air, they get about 6" in the dark,
(really 	   	dim, but I can feel, them <ouch!>.

 	Problem- I have no real idea if I am doing well or not because nobody
      that I've heard of uses the weak transformer that I have. If I buy two
      12kv-at-30mA NST's, will I get 12x the sparks? That almost sounds
insane...
                   12x9!
      By the way, I'm 14 and showed my science teacher, she looked at it like
      I was doing something wrong...hmmmmm...maybe I am. Please help me out
 	or even comment on my coil. I even need a name of sorts...you people
are 	the best!

 Thanks,
 Scott