[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Spark gap voltage transients

This may be old news to some of you expert coilers. Here it is anyway.

I believe the Tesla secondary behaves as an open circuit transmission line due
to it distributed structure. In which case presumable the primary will behave
similarly except that it s a much shorter transmission line and both ends will
appear to be shorted to the transients.  So that when the spark gap fires it
excites the transmission line characteristics of the secondary and a damped
osculation will be produced superimposed on what I will call the lumped
parameter response of the L and C combination. OK so what. Well I had assumed
that what looks like a damped oscillation in the voltage waveform was due to
the stray capacitance and inductance of the interconnections and the C.
Therefore this could be reduced by better connections and a C with a minimum of
self-inductance. Yes part of the transient my be due to that effect but the
dominate one will be due to the transmission line characteristics of the
primary. I don t think this has any major practical significance to the design
of a system, although it may be possible to minimise the power loss due this
transient by selecting a particular primary configuration such as spiral or
helical.

In the above I have ignored the power filtering. Particularly in the
configuration were the spark gap appears directly cross the power input, any
filtering circuits will be exited when the gap fires and the resultant
transient may dominate the above effect. Presumable the configuration with the
C directly across the input is the preferred configuration for this reason. I
have always put a bit of series R in the power supplies lines to reduce the
ringing of the power filter. A power supply filter trick is to put the R in
parallel with the L to eliminate its DC effect and reduce its power rating. The
value being calculated such that the resonance is critically damped. It has the
disadvantage that the filtering performance is reduced. A lossy core material
has a similar effect but difficult to design.

Constructive comments anyone.

Regards Alwyn