[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Latest MMC Calculations...

Hi Jim, Terry, Reinhard, all,

If we use 100 caps in an MMC, will the total lifetime be
reduced by the factor of 100? Well, I think NOT.

Of course, the caps will not fail at the same time, but
they also will not fail evenly distributed over the time
as they ALL degrade more or less evenly over the time.
So the lifetime of an MMC buildt out of 100 caps WILL be
shorter than the lifetime of one cap alone - but how much
shorter?

Statistic is a very complicated thing, especially if you
don't know the exact functions to describe the problem.
I.e. we don't know how the dU/dt affects the lifetime factor.
which depends on the corona.

So we can test each special type of small cap we want to
use in an EMMC-arrangement and calculate the lifetime from
the first dead cap. But this gives only a very bad (rough)
approximation as you need a 'high' number of events for a
'good' statistics.

Seems to me as if the only way to exactly determine the
lifetime of the _COMPLETE_ MMC, is to build a complete MMC
and try how long it will last before the first small cap
fails and how often you have to replace one of them.

One thing we all should have a look at is the setting of
the safety gap (or the static main system spark gap). If
you allow a too high voltage buildup, the MMC will die
very fast because of the 15th power law. Of course one
spike every now and then will not harm, but if your
voltage level is constantly higher than expected, your
MMC lifetime will go down rapidly.
As Terry pointed out, if you apply 1.17 (1.36) times the
voltage, the lifetime will decrease by the factor 10 (100)
due to the 15th power law.

Cheers, Stefan
       (_(_|_)_)< `        Reply to: STK.TC-at-gmx-dot-net, please |
_   __/   |_|    \_      visit "Stefans Tesla coil pages"   |
 \_/  `   |_|     `    with lots of photographs, formulas   |
 _/    .__|_|__.     and technical infos around TCs at      |
/_______\-|-|-/___ http://privat.schlund.de/skluge/toc.htm _|