[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Inductance Calculations for iron core

to: Mike

We use approx 40-40 mHy series inductance with a gapped core.  We use 125
turns of #10 AWG -- remember with a pole pig your peak currents are going to
be close to 70-80 amps for short saturation durations so you need much
larger wire than you might imagine for a 30 amp circuit.  The additional
inductance is of course provided by the variac as a standard voltage
controller.  Without a variac in the circuit more inductance is required.

I will check a core for you tomorow for cross sectional area.  We use a
Nomex gap material for 0.120 inch gap on each side of the C core.  We also
run a 0.5 Ohm, 5 kVA resistor in series with the reactor to limit short
duration peaks to reasonable values.  Very tightly banded with stainless
steel strap --- don't use regular banding steel as it will act as a shorted
turn and get red hot fast.

Regards,

Dr.Resonance