[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Winding coils on lathes (was coil coating)

Hi List

I just thought I'd share my experience of winding my 4" coil on a perspex
former using a lathe.

Reinhard wrote......

> Total agreement. I would NEVER wind a coil on my lathe. Esp. not
> if I would be coating it with epoxy, etc (running the lathe to prevent
> sags and runs). A lathe is an (expensive) piece of high tech
> equipment and should not be abused for such purposes. It only
> took me about 2 1/2 hrs to build a electrical winding rig out of
> scrap parts, I had laying around. It was a most beneficial aid in
> secondary construction. Another problem with winding a coil on
> a lathe: This is EXTREMELY difficult to do, if you wind the coil
> alone. You will never be able to stop the lathe in time (mine
> goes down to 60 rpm), if the wire tangles, etc. If the wire gets
> caught or tangles somehow, it WILL snap before you can stop
> the lathe. My lathe spins down slowly. It doesnīt have a quick
> stop. (Iīm not sure if any lathe has a quick stop, because you
> have high inertial energy "stored in the lathe" esp at low (high
> gear ratios) turning speed).

The technique I used to wind the coil was to put the lathe in "back gear".
This makes the chuck rotate *very* slowly. Certainly slowly enough to wind
a coil. The real trick to this however, is to disconnect the chuck from the
drive. This is done, on my lathe (a myford super 7) by opening up the drive
belt cover and just turning the semicircular location key on the drive
flange so that the chuck is independent of the drive. I say independent,
although the residual friction between the chuck and drive means that this
acts as a low friction clutch. So.................. the chuck\secondary
former will turn at the back gear speed but can be stopped quickly in the
event of a winding problem simply by catching hold of it with your hand
(the drive keeps turning). I must disagree with Reinhard when he says this
is very difficult. I found it to be simplicity itself - it took me about 10
minutes. I also applied a spray varnish coating to the wound coil while it
was turning on the lathe after masking the exposed bed etc.

hope this helps

Steve Crawshaw

--
Reach me by ICQ. My ICQ# is 27867352 or,
* Page me online through my Personal Communication Center: