[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: EMMC Value Drift

Hi All,

	Many thanks for the great ideas about the drift problem.  This has a lot
of interesting implications.  The fact that Finn has seen the same thing is
very interesting!!

	If the caps are arcing internally, it shows that the self healing feature
really does work even under nasty Tesla coil conditions.

	This tends to suggest that the caps are seeing voltages high enough to
puncture the dielectric!  DC testing indicated that they should hold up
fine.  It was very obvious when they arced internally during DC testing
which was pretty sensitive.  The caps were fine till about 3000 volts so my
string of ten should never break down.  Perhaps there is some mechanism
that causes these high voltages inside the caps that would be very
important to understand.  When I blew the caps under DC conditions they
often cracked through the case or had other obvious damage that I don't see
with my real cap.  However, they continued to function.

	I wonder if the high dv/dt is helping the dielectric breakdown sooner?
Perhaps a little stray inductance is driving the internal voltage up...  I
would think that there would be a weaker cap in the string that would be
degrading more than then others...

	Tonight I will carefully inspect the caps for damage.  Then I will test
their values and pick a few to dissect (I have spares to replace them
with).  These caps unroll pretty easily and the arcs should be obvious if
the DC testing is any indicator.  When the dielectric blew under DC, it
left a very obvious blown area in the dielectric...

Cheers,

	Terry