[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: EMMC caution

Hi Finn,

	I was a little surprised that your standard MMC gets so warm.  I think a
string in your standard cap is around 1nF while a string in the Panasonic
caps would be 5.6nF.  The Panasonics should see five times the current!
When the caps cleanly blow apart, that is a sign that they were destroyed
by over voltage.  When a cap puffs up and looks melted and burns, that is
from too much current.  I bet a few overheated and shorted and the others
blew from over voltage.  Your transformer is wound for 20kV, if I remember
right, so the 16kV (rated) strings may have seen around 29kV.  However, I
would expect them to take that which I think they did.  If pure over
voltage was the cause, the caps would have blown instantly when the power
was turned on.  However, in this case it took a short while for the caps to
overheat before all the excitement started.

	I think MMCs are pretty though as far as overvoltage goes but the current
handling and internal heating needs to be carefully considered.  I have
been looking very carefully at the new line of PHE448 caps from EVOX
www.evox-rifa-dot-com .  They have very good data sheets and seem like they
have really tested these parts.  They also have a dv/dt rating of 25000
volts/uS which is very good.  Their thermal dissipation is rather low but
they may have much more realistic numbers too...

Cheers,

	Terry