[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tube watts & volts

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Grayson B Dietrich <electrofire-at-juno-dot-com>
>
> I'm a little confused on two areas,
>
> Is the voltage rating of a tube, say, 1500 for an 811-A, peak or rms?

	Doesn't matter much, if the tube isn't gassy.  You're not going to run
it for long periods of time and the plate lead does come out the top, so
the stress on the glass is small.

> The other question I have is the wattage an 811-A can handle. In the back
> of Brent Turner's book, it is listed as having a plate wattage capability
> of 65 watts,

That's plate DISSIPATION (the difference between the total power input
and the total power delivered to the load circuit).  If the oscillator
efficiency is 75% (kinda low), the power output of the tube would be
about three times the plate dissipation.  Says you should easily be able
to push a couple of hundred watts or more out of the 811A.

Ed