[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Improved - MMC Capacitor Power Calculations

Hi All,

	I was helping Chip design a MMC cap for his coil and I discovered that my
power calculations had two problems.

	The first was that the temperature was proportional to BPS^2 instead of
simply BPS.

	The second is that a non sync gap only delivers half the power of a sync
gap due to the "beating" effect.  That is actually a pretty significant
thought!!.  Since a non sync gap spends a lot of time firing at less than
optimal voltage, the system power is cut in half!!

	Since Chip wants to run at 1000 BPS(!) these problems showed up right away.

	I have reworked and somewhat simplified the calculations.  I now find the
energy in each cap and find how much of that goes into cap heating.  This
requires that one know the primary circuit resistance (which few do) but
just use three ohms and you will be pretty close.  The improved
calculations are at:

	www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/MMCPower1.html

Cheers,

	Terry