[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Operation - was "Harmonics"

>Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:46:36
>To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>From: "John H. Couture" <COUTUREJH-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>Subject: Re: Tesla Coil Operation - was "Harmonics"

  Antonio -

  Pendulums with magnets are also not an accurate anology because magnets
are not mechanical. There is another reason. Magnets used in this way would
not duplicate the same eleectrical function that is in the Tesla coil.
Magmetism and electrostatics were known long before Faraday was born.

  I believe the Tesla coil is a complex electrical apparatus and it is not
possible to duplicate its operation accurately using a mechanical analogy.
The main problem is in duplicating the transfer of energy thru space from
the primary to secondary coil. This involves electrical induction that was
discovered by Faraday.

  This energy thru space is part of the electrical phenomena that Maxwell
explained in his treatise on electricity and magnetism. Maxwell proposed
that this type of energy transfer was possible thru space (no belts,
pulleys, or gears). Maxwell then developed the mathematical foundations for
electromagnetic waves. Maxwell's equations covered the work of Coulomb,
Oersted, Ampere, Faraday, Ohm, and other famous men.

  Seventeen years later Hertz discovered the radio waves (electromagnetic
radiation) that Maxwell had predicted. Hertz, however, believed radio waves
would never be of any use because of the limitations of his circuit. About
ten years later Tesla invented the circuit that improved Hertz's circuit and
made it a viable circuit for practical radio transmission. This circuit was
also the basis of the Tesla coil circuit which Tesla wanted to use as an
ultra high voltage transformer. A few years later Marconi patented a radio
circuit that was later nulified. The rest is history.

  John Couture