[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tank circuit question

I have been asked why I made my transformer 20kV. I would appreciate if
you could tell me, wether this explanation makes any sence at all.

My choice of the high voltage is based on what I have read in the
archives, where Richard Quick claims that a well developed system has a
primary that is about as large in diametre, as the length of the
secondary coil, _and tapped out beyond the 12 -13th turn_.
And the assumption, that the "matching capacitor" that wingate and tesla
coil cad predict, is the max. size cap that the transformer is able to
charge to full voltage in one cycle.(IE, use one that is a bit smaller
to avoid resonance) But not so small that it fires twice or more with
static gaps, or backfires on a rotary, when i get one built.
In other words: this matching capasitor is the size that will allow me
to load the transformer to the limit, and get the maximum energy into
the cap, so that the gap fires close to the top of the cycle, even if i
set it close to 20 kV.

With the resonant freq. that I am aiming at, around 120 KHz, and a
voltage of 14 kv, I would need a cap of 0.04 µF to match the
transformer, and this would force me to tap in to turn 8-9.
With 20 kV, the perfect cap would be 0.024 µF, I can use a cap of 0.02
µF and tap btwn. 12 and 13.
Somehow it seems to me, that this would make the better use of the
available power, and still honour the findings of Mr. Quick.

Any comments/corrections appreciated,

finn