[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer Questions

>Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 05:07:12 -0700
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Transformer Questions
>From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>
>Original Poster: Chris Tominkson <internetinbox-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
>/
>
>What would be better, a 9KV-120mA NST, or a 15KV-72mA NST. So what is
>more important, Amps or Volts?

A: In resonant charging primary systems, volts. Capcitors store energy
in the amount of p=.5CV^2. The equation tells us that stored energy
is a function of the voltage squared. Double the voltage and you have
quadrupled the energy!

>Has anyone heard of or used an air capacitor? It is a bunch of sheet
>metal squares stacked on top of each other, insulated from each other,
>and then every other one is wired to in/out, +/-. Like this, 2-4-6-8
>would be wired to live, 1-3-5-7 would be nuetral. All sheets are
>spaced apart .75".

A: Yes, and I can smell the ozone and see the corona already.
This will work, but will be physically huge if you want any performance.
Using air as a dielectric really is not practical in Tesla stuff for
many reasons, not to mention that
capacitance *DECREASES* by the square of the distance between the
plates.
>What would happen if you did not use a capacitor, while using a rotary
>spark gap and the usual config.

A: Nothing much. Does your car run without gas?

>Would I be able to wind a choke with some uninsulated 16 gauge wire?
>Do I just have to keep it space apart, is there a equation for these?

A: I wouldn't. b)(extra credit) use wheeler's, I think there are several
references at the Tesla site (pupman-dot-com). Just type Wheeler's in the
search engine.