[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Opinions on hv and lv proximity sought

to: Alan

It's best to place your HV xmfr and all its filters in a separate box.  One
reason is for safety, and the second, for a reasonable weight.  Most NST's
are heavy and if you cram them into the control console with the heavy
variac the whole setup gets rather heavy to move around. Hernias are less
desireable as you grow older.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Opinions on hv and lv proximity sought
> Date: Monday, January 18, 1999 7:26 PM
>
> Original Poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
>
> In a message dated 1/17/99 2:46:16 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>

> >  I would like opinions on where to place hi-voltage components in
> >  relation to low-voltage components. What I am trying to decide is
> >  whether to place both in my control cabinet. The individual parts are
> >  seperated by a good amount so arcing isn't a problem, but will the
> >  low-voltage components pick up radiation from the hi-voltage
> >  components is what I'm concerned about.
> >
> >  What I have done is place the safety-gap, bypass caps, and a couple
> >  resistors on one side and some chokes on the back wall on the inside.
> >  The leads from the chokes drop straight down to insulators and pass
> >  through a shelf to the bottom. The spark-gap is on the bottom shelf
> >  and the hi-voltage then goes out through the side and connects to the
> >  wires leading to the coil. At least that's what I have planned. It
> >  isn't all finished yet and can still be changed easily. Oh yeah, the
> >  reason for the middle shelf is to protect these parts from the rotary
> >  which will be on the bottom.
> >
> >  Opinions?
> >
> >  Thanks,
> >  Alan Jones
>
> Alan,
>
> The control cabinet is where you will be standing or sitting, correct?
By
> definition, this will be some safe distance from the coil.  Your main
tank
> circuit spark gap (static or rotary) should be located physically as
close as
> possible to the primary and tank circuit capacitor, with the associated
> interconnecting wires or cables not unnecessarily long.  If your H.V.
power